How to write a good profile for a dating website
Online dating is just as murky and full of lemons as finding a used car in the classifieds. Once you learn the lingo, it’s easier to spot the models with high mileage and no warranty. Laurie Perry
Internet dating is becoming the most recognised way to meet your match. With so many people now heading to the internet for love, the competition is increasing and it is becoming harder to get noticed. This week Happiness Weekly looks at how to put your best foot forward and write a fantastic internet dating profile.
Benefits of internet dating
– It’s a great way to screen people before spending time with them to ensure you have enough in common
– You only talk to people for as long as you need, til you gauge interest or a connection before you can move on
– It’s safe – if someone makes you feel uncomfortable, you can easily block them or exit away from the situation
– It’s fun, great for your self-esteem (as people introduce themselves to you) and for meeting new people
– Even if you meet someone and it doesn’t work out, you may become friends
– You’re in control. You only need to share the information you choose to, there’s no pressure, you can even hide your identity until you find the right person for you
– Like the best things in life, it’s FREE (depending on what site you use) and it’s convenient – particularly if you work long hours and don’t get to go out much
– The fear of rejection is significantly reduced because it’s easy not to have expectations. Even if you talk for weeks and they vanish or find someone else, it’s ok because there are so many other options!
Selecting you profile picture
If you’re serious about meeting the right people, your internet dating profile should be approached as you would a job interview. Select a nice, clear and classy photo that represents you well for your main profile picture. Make it a current (within the past year) photo so as not to mislead anyone.
What to write
– Your first sentence should be something about you that will set you apart from everyone else. It needs to show your personality but it doesn’t have to be witty. Or start simply with some positive adjectives to describe yourself: Loyal, fun, caring, intelligent, confident, sensitive, daring, honest…
– Be honest. Don’t say you’re an expert at something if you’re not, don’t pretend to have more money than you have. Be yourself: and remember – those who mind: don’t matter, and those who matter: don’t mind
– Write passionately and creatively about your interests and hobbies. Focus on the things you LOVE in life – that will make other people sense your passion and want to be part of it!
– State clearly and honestly what you’re looking for. If it’s short-term, explain why (going overseas? Just out of a relationship, don’t want anything serious?)
– Are you educated? Have you studied? What did you study? What field do you work in? Career-wise, what are you most passionate about?
– If you do want to avoid certain people (for example players), put it back on yourself but keep it fresh, light and always finish positively: “Straight up – I’m not a one-night-stand girl. I’m selective about who I will let in my life. Initially, I am just looking for new friends, new perspective and new inspiration” or “I’m not a package deal – I have never been married, I have no lingering or jealous ex-boyfriends, no children, no haunting past… I have a cute dog?? But he doesn’t live with me.”
– List the things you love: favourite food, activities/hobbies, favourite tv shows, sports, entertainment etc.
– Go into detail about your favourite thing to do in your favourite season. For example: “My favourite thing to do is go out on a boat with friends, crank up the tunes and drink the afternoon away. Nothing beats it!”
– When saying where you live, this is where I say I live a suburb further than I am. You don’t want any crazies tracking you down!
What you are looking for
– The key to this section of your profile is knowing EXACTLY what you are looking for. Do you want a smoker or a non-smoker? A social drinker or a non-drinker?
– Be selective! It can be tempting to put “A great person” in there, but by being specific you are more inclined to encourage the right people to talk to you.
– Fill in this section with positive adjectives about the person you are looking to date: outgoing, educated, generous, funny (not at other’s expense), mature, accepting etc.
What to avoid saying on your profile
– Saying anything negative on your profile. Instead of saying what you don’t want, use the space to say what you DO want (after all – you’re marketing yourself and you want to come across as positive and happy)
– Mentioning or inferring anything negative about your past “No players”, “Control freaks need not apply”, “I come without baggage”. You can discuss this stuff when you make it to the date
– Likening your appearance to a celebrity. Embrace your individuality – the celebrity talk will make you appear conceited
– Lying in any way – if you lie then you’ll get found out in the end. It’s a horrible way to start a relationship with someone – just be honest!
– Giving too much information. Not just in your profile but when you begin talking to people. Don’t tell them your life story straight away, leave a little mystery
– Shorthand – not everyone gets what OMG LMAO ATM means. Keep it real, straight to the point and simple
– Committing to meeting everyone you talk to. It can be tempting, but remember to be selective when you meet with people. You don’t want to be too available and remember, the person you’re attracting may also have friends on there, so try to avoid saying the same thing to everyone. Keep your introductory letters unique to each individual you chat to.
In short, the best way to write a great Internet dating profile is to be positive – remember, when you meet, no one’s perfect. Good luck and I hope this helps you to find love!
Tags: accept, acceptance, accepting, accomplish, accomplishment, achieve, achievement, activities, adjectives, another relationship, anything serious, appearance, ATM, available, avoid, avoid certain people, baggage, be honest, be positive, be specific, be witty, be yourself, belief, beliefs, benefits, benefits of internet dating, better, block, boat, boyfriends, career, career-wise, caring, celebrity, challenge, challenge yourself, challenges, change, changes, changing, charity, chat, children, classy photo, clear, comfort zone, commit, commitment, committing, common, common ground, competition, confident, connection, control, control freaks, convenient, creative, creatively, current, cute dog, daring, dating, dating advice, decision, decision making, decisions, development, discuss, divorced, doesn’t drink, don’t pretend, don’t say, drink, drinker, educated, embrace your individuality, emotion, emotional, emotions, encourage the right people, endorphin, endorphins, energy, enhance, Entertainment, ex-boyfriend, ex-girlfriend, exactly, excuse, excuses, exercise, exit, expert, explain why, express, expression, family, fantastic internet dating profile, favourite food, favourite tv shows, fear, fear of rejection, feelings are a decision, field, field you work in, find love, find someone else, finding love, finish positively, focus on the things you love, food, free, fresh, friend, friends, fun, funny, gauge interest, generous, get noticed, get out much, girlfriends, go out much, goal, goals, good luck, gracious, grateful, gratitude, great internet dating profile, grow, growing, happier, happiest, happiness, happiness is a choice, happiness weekly, happy, haunting past, help find love, hints, hobbies, hobby, honest, hormone, hormones, horrible way, hours, how to, How to write a good profile for a dating website, identity, images, improve your life, improvement, improvements, in common, inclined, individual, infer, inferring, information, inspiration, inspirational, inspire, inspired, inspiring, intelligent, interests, internet chat, internet date, internet dating, introduce, introductory, jealous, job interview, keep it real, learn, learning, letters, life story, light, lingering, live, LMAO, LMFAO, long hours, long term, love, lover, lovers, low expectations, loyal, lying, make it to the date, man, market, marketing yourself, married, mature, meet new people, meet your match, meeting new people, men, mislead, motivate, motivated, motivating, motivational, music, mystery, negative, new friends, new inspiration, new perspective, nice, no expectations, no one’s perfect, no pressure, nobody’s perfect, non-smoker, noticed, OMG, online date, online dating, opportunity, opposite sex, options, other options, outgoing, overseas, partner, passion, passionate, passionate about, past, peace, perception, perfect, perfection, personal development, personality, perspective, picture, pictures, players, positive, positive adjectives, positive thinking, positivity, pressure, pretend, profile, profile picture, reduced, rejection, relationship, remember, represent you, represents you, responsibility, responsible, romance, safe, Sarah, Sarah Webb, screen people, season, section, selecting your profile picture, selective, self development, self-control, self-esteem, self-satisfaction, self-talk, sense your passion, sensitive, separated, serious, short term, shorthand, show your personality, simple, situation, smoker, social drinker, specific, spending time, spending time together, sports, start a relationship, start with something that will set you apart, straight to the point, stress, studied, study, suburb, Sydney, Sydney Australia, tactics, take responsibility, talk to people, talk to you, television, television shows, tempting, thankful, thinking, time together, tips, too much information, track, tracking, tracking you down, tricks, tunes, tv shows, uncomfortable, unique, value, values, vanish, vegetarian, want to be part of it, Webb, weekly, what not to say, what to avoid, what to write, what you are looking for, what you’re looking for, witty, woman, women, work long hours, write passionately
About happinessweeklyHappiness Weekly encourages readers to proactively work towards a successful, happy and secure existence. Just like happiness – Happiness Weekly is for everyone.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.